Managing IP - IP STAR 2017.
World Trade Mark Review - Leading IP Practitioner 2017.
What others say: "amongst the very best local counsels we work with worldwide" - WTR Survey response.
I am an intellectual property (IP) and consumer law specialist. I co-lead the firm’s IP practice.
My aim to help clients make commercially sensible decisions around IP protection and in IP disputes.
I also assist clients with IP commercialisation, privacy matters (particulary use of third party data), and in relation to advertising (script, and concept reviews) and packaging claims.
My IP work has a brand bias, and I act for both local and international brand owners in clearing, protecting, enforcing and commercialising their brands in New Zealand and elsewhere. Clients I am fortunate to work with include the BBC, Sportsdirect.com, Trade Me and PGG Wrightson.
Recent work includes:
- Acting for Trade Me in oppositions against trade mark applications filed by NZMe.
- Acting for Master Plumbers in High Court proceedings settled in our client’s favour by way of sealed orders.
- Advising a leading food business on its digital and TV campaigns.
- Advising a global business on its New Zealand obligations following a data breach.
- Advising on nutritional claims and health claims in relation to foods.
I am a member of the following:
- New Zealand law society
- New South Wales law society
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- International Trade Mark Association (INTA)
- New Zealand Intellectual Property Office trade mark practice committee
- New Zealand Intellectual Property Office hearings office practice committee
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Hillary Award – board member.